Wed, Nov 08|
Canton Learning Collaborative
Big Read: Virtual Launch
Fulton County Arts and the Canton Learning Collaborative are working together with Illinois Humanities on hosting the 2023-2024 National Endowment for the Arts Big Read!
Time & Location
Nov 08, 2023, 7:00 PM CST
Canton Learning Collaborative, 29 East Side Square, Canton, IL 61520, USA
About the event
*Illinois Humanities - National Endowment for the Arts - Big Read Virtual Launch: Reconsidering the American Dream*
- Fulton County Arts and the Canton Learning Collaborative are working together with Illinois Humanities on hosting the 2023-2024 National Endowment for the Arts Big Read!
- More than 15 libraries, nonprofits, and community groups across Illinois are hosting free book groups for Reconsidering the American Dream. A virtual launch will be held on Wednesday, November 8th at 7:00pm on the Illinois Humanities YouTube channel, and you're invited to join us as we watch it live inside the Canton Learning Collaborative! RSVP on this page!
- Illinois Humanities YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/ILHumanitiesCouncil
- The 2023-2024 NEA Big Read program through Illinois Humanities features two titles about the American dream, class, and inequality: Heartland: A Memoir of Working Hard and Being Broke in the Richest Country on Earth by Sarah Smarsh, and Infinite Country by Patricia Engel. FCA has a limited number of copies of both books to give away–first come first serve. You're welcome to purchase your own copy, or check your local library for availability.
- We'll be hosting discussion groups for Heartland from December through January, followed by Infinite Country in February and March. These can be joined in person or virtually. Reach out to us here on Facebook, or send an email to email@example.com for more information.
- The first discussion of Heartland will be held on Tuesday, December 19th at 6:00pm inside the Canton Learning Collaborative — Zoom link available. When we read together, we broaden our imaginations and understanding of our world, our neighbors, and ourselves. Read alongside other NEA Big Read groups across Illinois and the nation by reaching out to Fulton County Arts on Facebook, or by clicking here.
FCA Facebook Groups